Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Gotham City

Look familiar? The Obama Campaign is using this font, called "gotham" ...I think it's a pretty cool font, and not because I like how the Obama campaign is putting it to use, but because I'm a big nerd. There are actually sites and blogs dedicated to "fontophiles" or "typophiles" but I'm not that much of a nerd.

In the year 2000, GQ Magazine commissioned a designer from Brooklyn to create a new font. The magazine actually held exclusive rights to the new gotham font until 2002. The typeface was selected for the Freedom Tower cornerstone at the World Trade Center site. The cornerstone, dedicated on July 4, 2004, was the first tangible, physical element of the Freedom Tower reconstruction.

Of course, the Obama campaign started using the gotham in 2007. As you can see in this photo , when the campaign modified the 'Yes We Can' and 'Change' message to exclude area loser, Nate Walsh.

If you wanted to download this font, it would cost you $200. Seriously. Ouch! 200 bones for a damn font. Luckily, you came here. I'll give it to you for free.
Don't say I never gave ya anything! Shh! It'll be our secret.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much. So very much.

    http://airforceobama.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:03 AM

    i need this font... its not downloading... asking me to sign up and all? :( is there a direct link?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, my account at fileden was suspended and I don't have the font anymore. I think I got it through a torrent site though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:21 PM

    The link used here doesn´t work, were can i get that stuff ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The site I had these files on axed my account, and I lost the files since because my old computer crashed. Sorry! I think you can download them via a torrent site.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:21 PM

    Here it is:
    http://rapidshare.com/#!download|430l32|156053824|Oba_Got_TTF_Fonts.rar|455

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:10 PM

    thank you :) a looots!

    ReplyDelete